In order to ensure that we are funding programs that address the specific unmet breast health needs of our community, Susan G. Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale works with local medical experts and community leaders to conduct a Community Profile, a comprehensive community needs assessment, every 4 years. This Community Profile strives to pinpoint populations most at risk for dying of breast cancer, identify needs and gaps, as well as assets, in the health system, and understand what people know, think and do about breast cancer. With the needs assessment as our foundation, each year Susan G. Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale funds the most effective community-based programs that meet our prioritized needs.
Our Funding Priority Areas are as follows:
- Programs that increase access to the breast cancer continuum of care (screening, diagnosis, treatment, follow-up care/survivorship) for low-income (below 250% Federal Poverty Level), uninsured and underinsured women. The Affiliate seeks programs that provide:
- no cost or low cost services,
- financial assistance with co-insurance/deductibles for diagnostic and treatment services,
- interpreter services, and
- patient navigation.
- Programs that provide culturally appropriate, evidence-based breast cancer education that leads to documented age-appropriate breast cancer action such as talking to a doctor about personal breast cancer risk or getting a screening mammogram.