Our Impact2019-08-06T18:38:08+00:00

Our Impact

National Impact

Since Susan G. Komen opened in 1982, we’ve contributed to many of the advances made in the fight against breast cancer. We’ve transformed how the world treats and talks about this disease and have helped turn millions of breast cancer patients into breast cancer survivors.

We are proud of our contribution to some very real victories:

  • More early detection and effective treatment. Currently, about 70 percent of women 40 and older receive regular mammograms, the single most effective screening tool to find breast cancer early. Since 1990, early detection and effective treatment have resulted in a 34 percent decline in breast cancer mortality in the U.S.
  • More hope. In 1980, the five-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with early stage breast cancer was about 74 percent. Today, it’s 99 percent.
  • More research. The federal government now devotes more than $850 million each year to breast cancer research, treatment and prevention, compared to $30 million in 1982.
  • More survivors. Today, there are more than 3 million breast cancers survivors in the U.S.

Local Impact

Since our Affiliate was founded in 1999, we have invested nearly $12 million in local breast health and breast cancer awareness projects in our service area.

In 2019-2020, Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale has invested nearly $400,000 in 13 projects administered by local non-profit hospitals, health care clinics and community-based organizations. These community partners help advance the Komen mission by providing breast health education, as well as breast cancer screening, diagnostics and treatment to the uninsured and medically underserved in our community.

Where does the money go?

We have been able to have this kind of impact in our community because 75 percent of the net proceeds raised through our Affiliate each year stays in this area, helping our neighbors in need. The remaining net 25 percent funds breast cancer research on a national level. We could not have done it without your very generous support, whether that was financial support or through the gift of your time. Thank you!

National Research Programs

Did you know that every major advance in the fight against breast cancer has been touched by Susan G. Komen®? That we’ve provided more money for breast cancer research and community health programs than any entity besides the U.S. government? Komen’s goal is to “energize science to find the cures.”

Komen’s commitment to supporting life-saving research has never been stronger. Building on decades of funding research to find the causes and cures of breast cancer, Komen continues its important new focus on research that will speed the translation of discoveries into reductions in breast cancer mortality and/or incidence within the next decade and on addressing disparities in breast cancer across populations.

A minimum of 25 percent of the net income from each Affiliate supports the Komen Research, Evaluation and Scientific Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific conferences around the world.

Information about National Research Programs
We have made a promise to end breast cancer forever – energizing science to find the cures is a critical part of this promise. Click to read more about some that are fulfilling this promise.

Translate »