MIAMI, Fla. – November 1, 2017 – Susan G. Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is proud to announce the availability of grant funds for the 2018-2019 year. Grants will be made to support efforts to reduce breast cancer disparities in Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties.
Based on a community needs assessment, Susan G. Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale has identified the following funding priority areas for its Community Grants Program:
- Evidence-based projects that increase access to the breast cancer continuum of care and reduce barriers to quality breast cancer care experienced by uninsured and underinsured individuals residing in Broward, Miami-Dade, or Monroe County. The Affiliate seeks to fund projects that provide
- no cost or low cost screening/diagnostic/treatment services
- mobile mammography
- diagnostic/treatment financial assistance with co-insurance/deductibles
- interpreter services, and
- projects that provide evidence-based patient navigation
- Programs that provide evidence-based and culturally relevant breast cancer education in one-on-one and small group settings. Projects must be designed to result in documented age-appropriate, breast cancer action (e.g., getting a screening mammogram, obtaining recommended follow-up after an abnormal mammogram).
To obtain the Request for Applications (RFA), please visit the Affiliate’s Grants webpage, http://www.komenmiaftl.org/grants/how-to-apply-for-funding/ or contact Patricia Sanchez at email@example.com or 954-909-0457. To be eligible, applicants must meet registration deadlines and attend a mandatory workshop. The deadline to submit applications is 5:00 p.m. EST, Friday December 8, 2017.
“Our grantees, better said our partners in the fight against breast cancer are integral to the mission and vision of Komen,” said Sherri Martens-Curtis, Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Operations Manager. “These centers, ranging from small centers to multi-specialty hospitals, ensure our community receives critical breast health care and support. Susan G. Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is proud to continue to fund the work of our grantees and the services they provide locally.”
To learn more about the fight against breast cancer, or to support upcoming events by the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Affiliate, visit www.komenmiaftl.org.
About Susan G. Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Susan G. Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is an Affiliate of Susan G. Komen®, the world’s largest breast cancer organization, which funds more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Over the next decade, Susan G. Komen® has set a bold goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 percent. Its mission is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality of care for all, and energizing science to find the cures. Seventy-five percent of Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale’s net proceeds stay in the area, funding grants to local hospitals and community organizations for breast cancer education, screening and treatment for uninsured, medically underserved women in Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties. Since its founding in 1999, the Affiliate has invested more than $11.6 million in local programs. The remaining 25 percent of its net proceeds funds breast cancer research nationally. For more information, visit www.komenmiaftl.org and follow us at facebook.com/komenmiaftl and on Twitter: @komenmiaftl.
Susan G. Komen® Miami/Ft. Lauderdale